An American Icon - Tribute to Lena Horne


As we morn the loss of Lena Mary Calhoun Horne, an American Icon, I remember her as not only beautiful but her style was a force to be reckoned with.
The singer, actress and dancer was born in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, NY on June 30, 1917 and died on May 9, 2010. She had the voice of an angel and was just as beautiful at the age of 92 as she was at 16 when she joined the mike chorus of the Cotton Club. She went on to become the first African American performer to sign a contract with the major Hollywood studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) thus making strides in the industry and paving the way for other female performers of color. One of my favorite roles she played was Glenda in The Wiz. Of course...it's all about the costume design to me and that's a personal favorite movie of mine! This photo of her gracefully showing off the one-shoulder style dress (my fav!) is simply flawless. Now this is epitome of what glamour and elegance in fashion means to me. R.I.P. Lena Horne. You will be missed.


Comments

Popular Posts