Dear 90's College Girl

I graduated from an HBCU.

Literally, the dopest, Historically Black College and University in all the world. Yup...you know who it is: North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University. AYANTEE for those in the back.

I share this with the most humble, confident mindset and with all due respect to each and every other HBCU in the family. Ase.

If you've ever seen School Daze, which was one of my all time favorite movies, but you didn't attend an HBCU, channel your "Different World" vibes and follow along...

To say my experience would have been less than amazing without the ladies and gents of Mo-Del Unique Incorporated aka MU - I, is an huge understatement. It is in this college-student-led organization that I honed my skills not only as a model (how WE defined it), but also as a lady (how I defined it) and there I became, the StyleMavyin. White robe, far left, head thrown back in chic defiance...that me.

Now don't let the big hair fool you. It was "The Big Hair Show" after all and as professionals, we did what we knew we needed to do, at any given moment, whether we liked the clothing, hair, nails, makeup or not. Why? Because that is precisely what we do. Black women know how to adapt in such a way that we can share as much (or as little) of who we truly are, the confidence that we possess, the edge you love to hate and still be as down to earth and glowing as the sunshine. Ladies, am I lying?

Sometimes though, we forget. We forget how to simply be. Share our light willingly and without fear or shame. We forget that if we do this, we attract like minded people and we progress. The opposite of stress and strife. It's the only way to grow... yet often the pressures of conformity cloud our vision and we forget.

Now, let this be your reminder: The facade is surface. Everything of importance is always happening on the inside. That powerful, stylish, woman who knows exactly who she is and is excited for whom she is becoming? Yeah...She's in there. *Bring 'em out! Bring 'em out!*

Comments

Popular Posts