Mood Method & Message


Project 2: Insta-Media Collage

The art of collage challenges us to find and repurpose materials, using them to create something new and expressive. I sent a photo of this work when it was about 80% complete to friends in a group text (it is my safe space for sharing) and one of the encouraging replies was "Looks like your mind in art form." Though I laughed at the reference, I couldn't have said it better. My friends know me well.

When I started painting to ease mental health challenges brought on by the pandemic, I never imagined this exercise in learning and exploring my inner self would be so cathartic. I had hoped that I might find clarity of focus in navigating whatever the next steps of my journey might be however, choosing to embrace my imagination and creativity through art has garnered new direction + so much more. 


This "Insta-Media Collage" project began with my love of paper. Card stock, stationary, business cards and journals are among the many paper products I have collected throughout my career. As a fashion hoarder, I've also been known to stash a few popped tags and luxury authentication cards as well. 

Starting with a shoe box (of course) as the collage base, I found a myriad of items that spoke to me in multiple ways. Some fashion related; a few speak to my various entrepreneurial endeavors; there are receipts from special purchases I've made; a face mask designed by a friend for such a time as this...; fabric cut from a discarded dress I once purchased for my daughter; and end the result revealed to me a fashion statement of its own.




From designer, artist, educator and creative enthusiast, Geoffry Gertz, I learned through the completion of this project, "the art of collage as a spontaneous playful creative practice."

I was further inspired by a lady with the red tresses who wore an orange dress embolden by free thought. With her in mind I created this accompanying art piece entitled: Walking In The Yellow Flow.

Comments

Popular Posts