Paying Homage - Sam Gilliam

To live 88 years, doing what makes you happy is a blessing. For that + so much more, Sam Gilliam is an inspiration. His life as an Artist, a teacher and a businessman is proof, in my opinion, that we have the ability to use our talents to change a process from typical and expected to something unique and special.



 Sam Gilliam portrait by Fredrik Nilsen Studio.

Mr. Gilliam is known for taking his paintings "beyond the frame" by draping his canvas' (that resembled large painter's drop-cloths) in an artistic, flowing way rather than the usual structured canvas painting. 

Sam Gilliam, Double Merge (Carousel I and Carousel II), 1968, acrylic on canvas, installation view, purchased jointly by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, with funds from the Caroline Wiess Law Accessions Endowment Fund; and the Dia Art Foundation. © Sam Gilliam/Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / photo: Bill Jacobson Studio, New York

As I continue to explore my own artistic voice, I draw courage from his work. It serves as an example to step out of the box, to embrace my own experimental artistic outcomes and believe in my ability of self expression thorough art. 

His painted, draped canvas speak to me in a profound way, as the beauty not only lies in the color composition but the actual draping itself. In fashion, these are the primary elements of a garment and that to me, is also art. 

Two of my favorite works of art created by Mr. Gilliam are "April 4" and "Yet Do I Marvel", both in part, due to their intended symbolism and my experience in relation to each.

April 4 - It is the day Dr. Martin Luther King Jr was murdered in 1968. This work is representative of and in honor to our assassinated civil rights leader. The mood it evokes is one of passion, hope, honor and the pain of social injustices from which we are still healing and fighting. 

  • Sam Gilliam, April 4, 1969, acrylic on canvas, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Museum purchase, 1973.115

Yet Do I Marvel - is titled after a poem by Harlem Renaissance writer Countee Cullen and is a permanent installation at the National Museum of African American History and Culture. This piece was the first display of art, beyond the beautiful building itself, that I remember seeing during my first visit to NHAAHC.

Sam Gilliam

Yet Do I Marvel (Countee Cullen), 2016

National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington, D.C.

Permanent Installation

Photo Credit: davidkordanskygallery.com

For me, the link between the two is a "Dream To Be BRAAVE". Further explained in a post coming soon. But for now, I simply pay homage.

Mr. Sam Gilliam passed away on June 25, 2022 at his home in Washington, DC. The celebrated innovators final exhibition is currently on display at the Hirshhorn Museum through September 11th and is aptly entitled: Full Circle.

Visit the Hirshhorn Museum to experience his final works.

Rest well Mr. Gilliam. If you were sent to shift the art world and inspire the masses to greater heights, job well done.

Comments

Popular Posts